UPDATE 330 – HOTFIX
Thank you for all the feedback on Update 329. This hotfix should serve to improve your experience.
A note to our Linux users; Although we no longer directly support a Linux client, please be aware that NS2 does run when using Proton. If you are unable to start NS2 via Proton (right click at Library entry -> Properties -> check Force the use of a specific steam play compatibility tool -> select latest version of proton) please confirm that your system is compatible to dxvk (see https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK ).
Tweaks / Improvements
- Removed the DirectX 9 render option and defaulted all clients to DirectX 11. A lot of clients have been frequently crashing due to a bug in the DirectX 9 render pipeline
- Renamed the Atmospheric Quality options and added a warning to make users aware that the high and extreme options are only meant to be used on really powerful systems
- The Anti aliasing graphics option will default to FXAA instead of TAA. We had a lot of users reporting performance issues with TAA enabled on low to mid-tier hardware
- Make sure to cleanup unused intermediate GUIView objects when done rendering GUIStyledText. Leftover GUIViews could cause performance issues
- Added the current count of GUIViews to g_stats
- Improved the menus fonts (AgencyFB) so they are easier to read and don’t look as blurry
- Improved the server console fonts scaling to be easier to read
- Disabled MouseButtonOne as possible binding to toggle the console to avoid that users become unable to interact with the menu without editing the remote option file manually
- Fixed that the remote option (bindings) reset at every launch of the game for some users due to a faulty xml node name. And added safety guards to the engine for this to not happen again
- Fixed that users on windows 7 without update KB2670838 installed couldn’t start the game due to missing support for DirectX 11.1
- Fixed TAA causing black pixel artifacts under DXVK (used by Proton)
- Fixed that some weapon tracers were never destroyed causing performance issues
- Fixed that some art assets were not properly precached for new menu
- Fixed profile pictures in the friends list did not always display correctly
- Fixed that the new server browser didn’t take reserved slots into account
- Fixed that the menu text entry cursor was blurry / wasn’t using distance field font correctly
- Fixed that some spectator UI elements blocked input from passing to the main menu.
- Fixed various typos in the new menu
- Fixed a script error caused by removing a badge that returns to some off-screen part of the tray (only happened with large numbers of badges).
- Fixed that the abyss gorge only unlocked after 6 instead of 5 played rounds on Origin