Are you a programmer? Want to work on NS? We are looking for a programmer to help us finish up v3.0, then continue working on new features and bugfixes for the next version. Read on to see if you have what it takes:
– Fanatical love of NS. You’ve probably played since 1.0, and want to see it grow without losing its ‘soul’.
– Great C++ skills. You’ve worked on big projects before, and have used STL and design patterns before.
– You believe it’s more important to be creative with your code then with your coding style and don’t mind using existing coding guidelines.
– Coding experience in Half-life mods. NS has a lot of tricky code (140,000 lines) in order to work on the Half-life engine, and it’s not particularly simple or elegant. This position is not for anyone who is new to the Half-life engine.
– Ability to work closely with the community and QA to understand and fix problems.
The ideal candidate also:
– Has programming experience on shipped games or mods.
– Can devote 20+ hours per week for at least a year.
– Can work with artists and mappers to resolve problems and create content for new features.
– You need your own copy of Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0.
– You will get full access to the NS source code, and will be responsible for keeping it to yourself. You will be required to sign an NDA before starting work.
– You will be working closely with the NS dev team for awhile, and then will move into a more independent role. Initially your work will be reviewed for integrity with the game and game world.
– There is a lot of bug-fixing to do, but you can work on new features from time to time as well (we will give you all the direction you need, but you will also be able to influence the game substantially on your own).
– This job is unpaid, though there is a possibility it could turn into a paid position later. This is an ideal position for a highly-skilled person who wants to build a name for themselves. Many of the people that have worked on NS have moved onto careers in the industry.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume/CV along with any samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unfortunately we won’t be able to reply to every application, so don’t despair if you don’t hear back immediately.
Hope to hear from you soon, and good luck!