Company: Unknown Worlds Entertainment, based in San Francisco, California
Official website: http://www.unknownworlds.com
Press Mailing List: http://eepurl.com/qT_Az
Press, Influencer, & Media Contact: email@example.com
Social: Twitter | Facebook | Instragram | Google+ | YouTube
We are a small independent development studio making games!
The Unknown Worlds story began with the release of Natural Selection on Halloween 2002. NS exploded onto the Half-Life modding scene: It equalled the original Team Fortress for player numbers and was critically acclaimed. Combining strategy an shooter genres, the game offered players a unique team-based multiplayer experience. Recognising the potential of the Natural Selection concept, and wishing to take it further, Charlie formally founded Unknown Worlds with Max McGuire in 2006.
- May 2001 – Started full-time on Natural Selection
- October 2002 – Released Natural Selection
- October 2006 – Max and Charlie found Unknown Worlds, start on Natural Selection 2 (NS2)
- November 2006 – Released Zen of Sudoku
- October 2007 – Released Decoda
- April 2008 – Investment received, first office
- July 2008 – Announced custom engine for NS2 (Spark)
- October 2008 – First Spark engine footage shown
- May 2009 – NS2 site and teaser video released
- November 2009 – NS2 pre-alpha released
- April 2010 – NS2 Engine Test released
- July 2010 – NS2 alpha released to ~15,000 players
- November 2010 – Fade movie released, enters closed beta.
- August 2012 – Exosuit revealed.
- September 2012 – NS2 available for pre-order on Steam.
- October 2012 – NS2 launches on Steam!
- February 2013 – NS2 ‘Gorgeous’ Update
- September 2013 – Prototyping of a new underwater game (“Subnautica“) begins
- October 2013 – NS2 ‘Reinforced’ Update
- February 2014 – NS2 ‘Kodiak’ Update
- February 2014 – Subnautica is teased, development team begins to form
- October 2014 – NS2: Combat (Standalone game developed by former NS2 modding team) released
- October 2014 – NS2 ‘Reaper’ Update
- October 2014 – Subnautica Special Edition (Access to development builds) released
- January 2015 – Subnautica Early Access released
- January 2018 – Subnautica released on Steam
- January 2019 – Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access released
Business & Partnership Contact
While we will happily provide keys to media who wish to play our games for the benefit of their audiences, we will not provide keys for giveaways, competitions, or resale.
The rest of the team can be found here.
Quotes & Recognition
- “[Subnautica] is, without doubt, my favourite game of the last five years.” – Philippa Warr, PC Gamer, January 2018
- “NS2 the Best Indie Game of E3: GameSpy” – June 2012
- “NS2 Nominated for best of PC, best of indie E3: Destructoid” – June 2012
- “Subnautica’s hands off approach to storytelling is brilliant”
– Steven Messner, Andy Kelly, Philipa Warr, PC Gamer
- “Subnautica Review: This aquatic survival game is an underwater wonder – 9.1/10”
– TJ Hafer, IGN
- “A Team Of Seven Is Making A Game That ‘Shouldn’t Be Possible’”
– Jason Schreier, Kotaku
- “NS2 is a genius mash of Counter Strike and Starcraft”
– Tina Amini, Kotaku
- “This is getting close to my idea of the ultimate game”
– Mr Sark, Machinima