Company: Unknown Worlds Entertainment, based in San Francisco, California
Official website: http://www.unknownworlds.com
Press Mailing List: http://eepurl.com/qT_Az
Press/Business Contact: email@example.com
Social: Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | YouTube
We are a small independent development studio making games!
The Unknown Worlds story began with the release of Natural Selection on Halloween 2002. NS exploded onto the Half-Life modding scene: It equalled the original Team Fortress for player numbers and was critically acclaimed. Combining strategy an shooter genres, the game offered players a unique team-based multiplayer experience. Recognising the potential of the Natural Selection concept, and wishing to take it further, Charlie formally founded Unknown Worlds with Max McGuire in 2006.
- May 2001 – Started full-time on Natural Selection
- October 2002 – Released Natural Selection
- October 2006 – Max and Charlie found Unknown Worlds, start on Natural Selection 2 (NS2)
- November 2006 – Released Zen of Sudoku
- October 2007 – Released Decoda
- April 2008 – Investment received, first office
- July 2008 – Announced custom engine for NS2 (Spark)
- October 2008 – First Spark engine footage shown
- May 2009 – NS2 site and teaser video released
- November 2009 – NS2 pre-alpha released
- April 2010 – NS2 Engine Test released
- July 2010 – NS2 alpha released to ~15,000 players
- November 2010 – Fade movie released, enters closed beta.
- August 2012 – Exosuit revealed.
- September 2012 – NS2 available for pre-order on Steam.
- October 2012 – NS2 launches on Steam!
- February 2013 – NS2 ‘Gorgeous’ Update
- September 2013 – Prototyping of a new underwater game (“Subnautica“) begins
- October 2013 – NS2 ‘Reinforced’ Update
- February 2014 – NS2 ‘Kodiak’ Update
- February 2014 – Subnautica is teased, development team begins to form
- October 2014 – NS2: Combat (Standalone game developed by former NS2 modding team) released
- October 2014 – NS2 ‘Reaper’ Update
- October 2014 – Subnautica Special Edition (Access to development builds) released
Charlie – Navigator, co-founder, game director
Hugh – General Press / Business enquiries
The rest of the team can be found here.
Awards & Recognition
- “NS2 the Best Indie Game of E3: GameSpy” – June 2012
- “NS2 Nominated for best of PC, best of indie E3: Destructoid” – June 2012
- “A Team Of Seven Is Making A Game That ‘Shouldn’t Be Possible’”
– Jason Schreier, Kotaku
- “NS2 is a genius mash of Counter Strike and Starcraft”
– Tina Amini, Kotaku
- “This is getting close to my idea of the ultimate game”
– Mr Sark, Machinima